- Haven't received a total yet, but it appears as if McKechnie Field is sold out for the fifth time this spring. Not sure if you're aware, but MLB added a new rule stating the team with most Grapefruit League sellouts gets an extra win added to their regular-season total.
Kidding. It's five wins.
Kidding. Made the rule up. Doesn't exist.
- Pirates starter Kevin Correia gave up a run for the first time this spring when Josh Kroeger ripped a single to left in the second inning. That snapped Correia's streak of 10 1/3 scoreless innings.
- Remember last night when I said Andrew McCutchen was good? He still is. Today he's walked, singled, stolen a base and driven in a run. As I said, still good.
- Red Sox hurler Jon Lester is working very slowwwwwly out there, which I find interesting, considering new BoSox skipper Bobby Valentine ripped another Red Sox starter, Josh Beckett, when he was taking too long during a Yankees-Red Sox game last year. Valentine has already named Beckett his Opening Day starter, and the Red Sox need the elite lefty if they are to get back to the playoffs for the first time since 2009. In other words, now that he's in the dugout and no longer in the broadcasting booth, Valentine couldn't care less how long Lester and Beckett take between pitches.
- Did I mention Lester is working slowwwly? It's the bottom of the third inning and we've been here for over an hour. And it's not working - he's given up two runs on six hits in two-plus innings.
- It's 2-1 Pirates in the 3rd.